Tuesday 21 August 2012

Tree House

A tree house conjures up a wonderful, peaceful escape from everyday, adult worries.  My friends and I made one in the woods when we were angry kids.  It helped a lot.

They're not all like that.  On a walk, just up the hill about half a mile from our house, I came across some haphazard accumulation of branches, corrugated iron and other debris that was clearly an attempt to build a tree house.  The odd thing about it was the lack of low-down branches or any other means of clambering up there.  I was out collecting sloes for my gin at the time; not, I hasten to add, drinking it.  It starts to get dark around 8:00pm.  As I was leaving the field, some strange, stooping creature shambled across from the opposite direction.  I stood perfectly still against the hedge and watched.

Such an odd climbing style.  He (or it) must have had something metallic and sharp that clamped to his elbows - something that dug into the trunk of the tree.  Either that or something sharp protruded from his bones.

No comments:

Post a Comment