Thursday 9 August 2012

India - Bangalore (Bengaluru) Schools - Children's Stories

Wherever I am, I try to look for inspiration.  It could be anything.  Some scenery, a phrase somebody uses, the physical shape, size, appearance of someone I see in the street.
When I was in and around Bangalore in India, visiting some schools with other teachers almost two years ago, I was expected to teach a science lesson on rock formation to very young children.  This expectation was a complete surprise to me and I'd come unprepared.  But given a couple of days' notice, I managed to pick up a chunk of granite on a visit to a vast granite quarry.  So instead of going straight for a lesson involving the comparison of different rocks and their proerties, I made up a story called The Stone Princess.  The kids loved it. 
Also, on the same visit, I bought a chowkabarra board game.  It's a bit like ludo.  That led me to write a story called The Giant Babala in which the game appears.  As well as those two, I did another called The Indigo Jinni involving two characters called Sontash and Priti, the names of people I met there.
Needless to say, and not just for the sake of my writing, the entire Indian experience was inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment