Monday 7 May 2012

Origins of the Story

Looking at my files, I dscovered the picture of al-Azraq was downloaded about 3 years ago.  The story of Vincent of Baalfire has gone through some transformations.
It started when I found out about this Arab leader called al-Azraq, but referred to by the local Christians as El Drac - the Devil or the Dragon.  I'd been to Andalucia a few times and was fascinated by the Arabic civilisation, its inventiveness and intellectual progress, that stretched at one point from Persia across northern Africa to Spain.
The Dragonscale Blade started as a tale about ordinary people in medieval times, and one boy in particular, being caught up in an act of aggression that had nothing to do with them. (Doesn't this happen all the time?)
I enjoyed all the minor characters in it.  They were all colourful.  The main character, however, didn't really come to life for me until I made him a kid from the 21st century.  Vinny changed everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment