Tuesday 25 June 2013

Rock 'n' Roll and Badgers

I'm not usually in the Beechen Cliff area on a Monday night, but it was my singing evening.  A few of us get together to sing old rock 'n' roll numbers - anything we can harmonise to.  Choir isn't the correct collective noun; it's more of a bunch of friends having a good time singing.  Last night, the venue was Bear Flat, which means, afterwards, walking home down the steps through Beechen Cliff woods.

Just after ten last night, there was still a bit of light in the sky, but dark enough for the badgers to be out.  I could hear quite a bit of scuffling.  Every time I moved, of course, the noise stopped.  They were listening to me as much as I was listening to them.  I didn't think I'd see any, until I got to the end of the steps.  A badger was sitting right there.  Practically on the spot where I have one on the front cover of my book.  It didn't hang about for long, of course.  Gave me a bit of an old-fashioned look and waddled off - in no great hurry.

No comments:

Post a Comment