Sunday 30 June 2013

Facts and Fiction

Being a rationalist at heart (though not always behaving in a rational way) I strongly believe in the importance of facts, evidence, logic, causality, fair-testing, etc.  When it comes to persuading people to think and feel in a particular way, or just draw their attention to some new way of looking at something, fiction wins over facts.  It's the head v heart thing.  All the facts in the world won't always make people shift their strongly held position, but a simple story that presents characters and life in a different way is very affective and effective.

When I wrote The Badgers of Beechen Cliff, I wasn't necessarily trying to change hearts and minds.  It's the classic set-up of the too-powerful against the weak, Goliath encountering David.  See for yourself.  Let me know what you think or write a review.

1 comment:

  1. How about fiction laced with a number of verifiable facts, set to present the story in such a way as to make it so close to being historical in nature that the reader needs to examine certain long-held assumptions or beliefs? I try to do this in my fiction. Fourth novel due out soon.

    ReplyDelete